What am I missing with LIV golf?

Shavencoinpurse

Great final round leaderboard at a great course.  All the fans and players seem to be enjoying it.  Good for golf and the fans.  I wish they would bring an event to Atlanta.  I would gladly attend.

DJ drove it and ironed it like garbage today.  Short game bailed him out.  What a round from Bryson.  Got 10k riding on that dude.  Hopefully this course doesn’t bite back at him tomorrow.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Gmcarroll33 said:

Great final round leaderboard at a great course.  All the fans and players seem to be enjoying it.  Good for golf and the fans.  

DJ drove it and ironed it like garbage today.  Short game bailed him out.  What a round from Bryson.  Got 10k riding on that dude.  Hopefully this course doesn’t bite back at him tomorrow.

Watched the last 10 holes or so, a far superior product to the PGA nowadays.

6 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Watched the last 10 holes or so, a far superior product to the PGA nowadays.

It does have a tad silliness about it that they should drop, but outside of that it’s pretty fun and the whole “it’s a joke and this isn’t real golf” narrative has long since been dropped since the LIV guys have dominated the leaderboards at majors.  

The music thing might seem weird but everybody that plays golf tells me that everybody has a bluetooth blaring music as they play nowadays, so it’s basically just modern golf.  I still prefer the PGA broadcast but anybody that thinks this is garbage and should just go away is in for a rude awakening.  It’s only going to grow, and they all make more money.  Good for them.

22 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

Rahm and Hideki would have been a great addition to this week.  Too bad the PGA blocked them from playing golf where they wanted to compete and win at.

they should have shown up anyway, rahm especially has a lot of pull being one of the top 3-4 guys on the PGA tour. he should have told them to pound sand.

9 minutes ago, mikeman said:

they should have shown up anyway, rahm especially has a lot of pull being one of the top 3-4 guys on the PGA tour. he should have told them to pound sand.

Most of the remaining guys on the PGA that weren't already filthy rich to begin with must have terrible agents.  Their sole goal is to make them as much money as possible.  DJ, Brooks, Bryson, Cam Smith, etc have to be smiling and laughing all the way to the bank as they pocket 100+ million simply for joining a league that merged with the PGA anyways.  So the whole good guys vs bad guys narrative is long gone.  They're the same exact people that made a great financial decision to play golf somewhere else and it's done nothing to kill their game (outside of Niemann.  Wtf has happened to that dude?)  

Meanwhile the others sit around and sit out the Rocket Mortgage Classic and make nothing this week vs hoping to win the Scottish or British Open in a few weeks for pay way less.  Valderrama has always been a great test of golf and a course worth playing if you're brushing up for a major.  If I was their agent I would have to ask them wtf are they thinking?  

This has been another great event for LIV.  Packed crowds at a country and place that loves golf.  Bryson and Gooch coming down to the wire.  Hole 17 and 18 are flooded with fans.  How anybody thinks this is trash or bad for golf is beyond me.  All the players listen to music when they practice nowadays.  This is fun.

Dustin is an absolute disaster right now off the tee and approach.  He even said so after his round yesterday before running to the range.  It did him no better today.  Don’t waste any money on him at the British.  If he pulls it off then so be it, but he looks lost swinging any of his clubs right now.

Well Gooch just drained a long one to win it.  Sigh….

Great tournament though.  Meanwhile the Rocket Mortgage had to tee off way early.  Doubtful it gets much coverage.  Btw everybody in the world will probably be betting Rickie at the British.  Deservedly so, but it seems square.  I’ll probably be on him too.

Oh the hypocrisy.  Remember when dummies were laughing and trashing on LIV Tulsa when they didn’t show the playoff?  PGA was even worse last weekend.

They didn’t even have Rickie as one of the groups to watch on streaming apps

“Unless fans watch on a streaming device, like CBS Sports, they will not see Rickie Fowler and the leaders play any live golf. There are options on ESPN+ for featured holes and featured groups, but Fowler isn’t one of those.”

https://www.sbnation.com/golf/2023/7/2/23781957/pga-tour-trashed-rocket-mortgage-classic-not-aired-tv-rickie-fowler-leading

LIV London supposed to be packed this weekend

On 7/1/2023 at 12:17 PM, Gmcarroll33 said:

Great final round leaderboard at a great course.  All the fans and players seem to be enjoying it.  Good for golf and the fans.  I wish they would bring an event to Atlanta.  I would gladly attend.

damn bro, are we neighbors?

1 hour ago, jasson621 said:

Tried yet again yesterday ended up watching the PGA event, the graphics are the worst just not visually appealing. 

Side note leaving tomorrow for our annual British Open trip for 2 weeks. 

Awesome man!  Have a blast.  What do you do over in the UK?  I would think Ireland would be a way funner British to go to like one that Lowry won.  My brother’s best friend’s friend lives there now and his parents said that place is amazingly cool and the people are awesome.  Northern Ireland is a totally different though.  Explains Rory I guess.

It’s year one.  Hopefully LIV doesn’t just say “this is it, this is our presentation and graphics now deal with it” vs viewing it as year 1 to take feedback on what viewers like and don’t like.  If they had the exact same graphics as the PGA would you be ok, or is it the fact that it’s too much action of shot after shot vs being accustomed to Jim Nantz talk to Faldo for 3 minutes straight and then cutting to a player practice swinging a bunch and taking a few minutes to hit a shot making it every shot seem so important?

4 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

Awesome man!  Have a blast.  What do you do over in the UK?  I would think Ireland would be a way funner British to go to like one that Lowry won.  My brother’s best friend’s friend lives there now and his parents said that place is amazingly cool and the people are awesome.  Northern Ireland is a totally different though.  Explains Rory I guess.

It’s year one.  Hopefully LIV doesn’t just say “this is it, this is our presentation and graphics now deal with it” vs viewing it as year 1 to take feedback on what viewers like and don’t like.  If they had the exact same graphics as the PGA would you be ok, or is it the fact that it’s too much action of shot after shot vs being accustomed to Jim Nantz talk to Faldo for 3 minutes straight and then cutting to a player practice swinging a bunch and taking a few minutes to hit a shot making it every shot seem so important?

My wife and I are friends with a couple from Ireland that will be home base for our golf outing and the jumpers, we will travel over England for the event and them back to Ireland for another week so about 3 weeks in all. 

and Yes Ireland>England

16 minutes ago, jasson621 said:

My wife and I are friends with a couple from Ireland that will be home base for our golf outing and the jumpers, we will travel over England for the event and them back to Ireland for another week so about 3 weeks in all. 

and Yes Ireland>England

Who are you betting on?  Gotta come back a betting champion.

Watching live with one hole to go.  This place is packed with a great crowd.  

Probably a good strategy for them to go ahead get over there while playing some competitive golf for the Scottish and the British.  Most of the PGA guys with a chance are already over there now as well hanging at Wimbledon.

4 hours ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

I cant stand the fact the PGA broadcast basically just shows the leaders the last rd, then they shrink the leader board as the day goes on to highlight those they think are worthy of being listed,then anytime they do pop into a highlight you know it's a tape of a long putt, etc.

I'll take the LIV thing every day.

6 hours ago, jasson621 said:

Tried yet again yesterday ended up watching the PGA event, the graphics are the worst just not visually appealing. 

Side note leaving tomorrow for our annual British Open trip for 2 weeks. 

Just tried myself.  The graphics are hideous.  You can't even see the full names of the players on the left hand side.

There was music in the background the entire time.  Just annoying.

Switched to the PGA event.

2 hours ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

Just tried myself.  The graphics are hideous.  You can't even see the full names of the players on the left hand side.

There was music in the background the entire time.  Just annoying.

Switched to the PGA event.

So the most common complaint is the graphics.  Let’s say they swipe that and replicate exactly what the PGA Tour graphics look like.  Then it’s the same golfers playing golf, with the same graphics.  All that leaves is the music in the background.  That’s not going anywhere from what I see as these are all party events.  Does the graphics fix everything, or is music really that bad?  Other than that there’s nothing different other than the announcer not being Jim Nantz.

I’m sure they’ll take feedback to make necessary changes.  I prefer the PGA too, but on weeks that it’s kind of boring there’s nothing wrong with having the option to flip back and forth between the two.