What am I missing with LIV golf?

Shavencoinpurse

Completely packed and if they could get this on a real network with some broadcast modifications would have plenty of golf fans watching.

image.thumb.jpeg.509cf64907b96127787be55200d87289.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b4eaf8708618859217737667055b3de1.jpeg

Marc Leishman compared the atmosphere to “being in contention at a major”

“Probably as energetic a crowd I’ve ever played in front,” Leishman said after opening with a one-under 71.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Deemer said:

You’re trolling right?

There's more people there than there will be at any major this year outside of the Masters.  If they can get more events like this then you're crazy if you think this isn't expanding, and just staying on the CW Network or streaming on the app as a long term plan until they pull the plug.  Last year they had youtube streams to go off of, and networks that couldn't broadcast them bc of the PGA (CBS/NBC) or just wouldn't because of the unknown of the what it would be like and if anybody would even want to watch.  If you don't think this is going to appeal to a younger and broader audience outside of your grandfather and parents then I don't know what to tell you. 

It's different and cool for what it's trying to do as an alternative golf experience.  PGA will reign supreme, but they're already copying at least half of LIV's golf model just to not have players leave.  Lol their designated events come next year are 100% the exact same as LIV now minus being 54 holes.

I was reading some college golf coach that said this is how kids play golf now anyways that they all have music playing while they're playing (practice rounds I guess) nowadays on bluetooth speakers and nobody complains. 

This is it.  Explains the shotgun start and how in the final round it creates more shots vs just waiting 4-5 minutes for the same 6 guys with a chance to win to hit a shot vs what else is going on.

22 minutes ago, mikeman said:

What's wrong with that, people didn't make that distinction when Tiger was great?

They're not just doing it for Cam either.  Every hole is flooded with people.  Of course he has the biggest crowd, but this place is packed and partying.  Old frumpy dudes everywhere fuming that they're losing the "trash product, nobody cares" argument right in front of their eyes.

New players obviously can't join until 2024 when the ones that didn't perform well enough get delegated off unless resigned by their teams.  My best guess is Will Zalatoris joins.  Season ending back surgery announced, and had the same issue last year.  Sounds just like Brooks when he came over and was worried about his career being in jeopardy because of injuries, but all ended up being okay after all, and enjoying it way more than the PGA Tour.  If I'm Will Z I'm not taking a chance of a PGA Tour card vs guaranteed money.  The rumors of Cantlay and Schauffele continue on too, but I think Will Z would be a much bigger get if he's healthy.

11 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Been watching this delayed telecast since it started(switching to the twins game only occasionally), i haven't flipped to the PGA joke tourney yet.

As it currently is, if the PGA Tour has a designated event or something big then there’s barely a chance I’m watching LIV.  If LIV has more tourneys like this while the PGA Tour is hosting some garbage like the Zurich then there’s barely a chance I’m not watching LIV instead.  Both are good for golf and gambling. 

Cameron Smith calls LIV Adelaide the best he's ever played.  55 million video viewers across social media channels.  I suppose that's pretty good.  Onto Singapore where another pathetically weak and uninteresting field has been assembled.  Playing a Greg Norman course of all things.

https://www.golfmagic.com/liv-golf/liv-golf-smashes-record-cameron-smith-says-best-event-ive-ever-played

1 hour ago, mikeman said:

Imagine being Gooches caddy? if he's getting the standard rate he's made over $800K in about a week?

https://www.sportscasting.com/liv-golf-talor-gooch-added-9-1-million-bank-account-8-days/

I watched last night until the rain started pouring and it was expected to be a long delay.  They only had 5 holes left.

Meanwhile the PGA had a dud of a tournament where the 2 pre-tourney betting favs were in the final group.  No drama or anything interesting at all of somebody locking up their tour card for next year.

Finau won just under 1.4 million.  Gooch has won 8 million in 2 weeks.